Top 10 Best Dog Clippers Review 2017 | Buying Guide
Whether you’re a new dog owner or have had your pet for years, you understand the importance of grooming. Not only does this keep your dog from experiencing discomfort, but also allows you to avoid the issues that arise from an ungroomed dog, including copious amounts of shedding that results in allergies. That’s one reason that it’s important to find the best dog clippers that will do the best job possible so that you can groom your pet quickly and efficiently. However, how do you know what to look for, especially if this is your first pet? Thankfully, there are several different tips to follow when considering your options, so that you can make the best choice for you and your dog.
Top 10 Dog Clippers Review
Strokes Per Minute
Adjustable Blade (#10-#15-#30)
Patented ‘Super Shunt’ Motor
All Coat Types
All Coat Types
‘5 in 1’ Blade (Fine)
Up to 5,500
All Coat Types
No maintenance motor
All Coat Types
No Maintenance Motor
'5 in 1 Adjustable Blade
Up to 5,500
Medium Duty Professional Clipping
No Maintenance Motor
All Coat Types
All Coat Types
All Coat Types
Detachable UltraEdge or CeramicEdge
What is a Dog Clipper?
A dog clipper is like an electric razor meant for dogs, which is specially designed to cut through long dog fur for a cut that is closer to the body of the animal. Dog clippers are often used by pet owners who find that the fur on their dog is becoming bothersome, such as by leaving clumps everywhere throughout the house or shedding so much that the danger leads to allergic reactions. Usually, cutting the fur short can take care of these problems - and of course, many owners realize that they can turn to a professional dog grooming service to get this done.
However, dog groomers tend to be expensive, especially if the dog’s fur grows back quickly and you end up having to take your pet to the dog groomer every few weeks. That’s where dog clippers come in - the best way for pet owners to take care of dog grooming at home. It may take more time, but it’s also much more cost-effective. And after a few practice rounds, you should be able to trim your dog’s fur without any trouble.
Dog clippers are also beneficial because they allow you to style your dog’s fur however you would like; although there are standardized “looks” for some breeds, in general, you have control to decide how you would like your pet to look. Dog grooming at home has the added advantage of being easier for nervous or easily excitable dogs to handle; if your dog is likely to shy away from a different groomer or is not trained enough to sit still when a person other than you is handling the dog, you should consider getting the grooming done you.
Top Three Dog Clippers You Shouldn't Forget
Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper
These dog clippers are the closest to professional that you can find, and it’s helpful that they work for all dog coats and breeds. As a result, though, they are also some of the priciest dog clippers out there, and may not be what you’re looking for regarding price.
The Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper includes a special cooling system that prevents the tool from overheating, and it runs quietly to save you a headache (which you may already have from trying to groom your dog). The blade is detachable so that it’s easy to change or clean it, which is especially beneficial if you want to try out different styling options on your dog and see what works best. Furthermore, it keeps the blade from becoming dull as you can change it out at your leisure.
The rotary motor comes in two speeds so that you can adjust depending on how thick your dog’s fur is, as well as what part of your pet you are working on grooming. This is perfect in that you can get multiple jobs done without having to get another pair of clippers that has a different speed setting. Although this device has a cord, its 14-foot length should be enough to maneuver around your dog and move easily around your equipment. Furthermore, its shatterproof design is evidence of high-quality craftsmanship, as you don’t have to worry about it breaking into pieces if you drop it. You can expect these clippers to last you for years to come.
Andis also sells guiding combs and blades that don’t come with the product, but which you can buy separately; for example, the nine-piece set of Andis Pet Small Animal Clipper Combs is a good addition to your grooming toolkit, as is the Andis Pet CeramicEdge Carbon-Infused Steel Animal Clipper Blade. That last item is sold separately because it is higher-quality (and thus, also more expensive) than other blades.
Features At a Glance:
- Product Dimensions: 9.8 x 7.7 x 2.4 inches ;
- Product Weight: 17.5 oz; Corded;
- Blade Type Included: Detachable UltraEdge;
- Motor Type: Rotary;
- Strokes per Minute: 3,400-4,400;
Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper
Oster is a well-known brand that provides high-quality clippers, so it’s no surprise that this particular model is well-equipped to handle your dog grooming needs. Along with dogs, it is also used for farming and livestock, so you know that it is easy to wield and can cut through even the thickest of fur with precision and comfort. As with the Andis AGC Super 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper, the universal rotary motor comes in two speeds, which you can adjust depending on what works best for you as well as what kind of shape you are styling your dog’s fur into.
The Oster A5 Turbo 2-Speed Professional Animal Clipper is also specially built to run without releasing a lot of heat, which prevents it from overheating and hurting you or your dog. (However, you should still turn it off and check every now and then just to be safe). The special CryogenX blade has an AgION antimicrobial coating, which prevents the spread of bacteria and also means that you can use it on multiple animals without worrying about what’s going to carry over. The detachable blade system is quick and easy to use, whether you want to change blades out of necessity (such as if it is dull or broken) or if you just want to experiment with different types to find which one is best for you.
Several add-ons are available that work with this project, but are not sold with it - you need to buy them separately. One is the Oster Kool Lube III Spray Coolant, which is what you can spray onto your clippers if they do happen to overheat - it’s an alternative to just setting them aside and waiting for them to cool down. The other is the Oster Professional Care 10-Piece Universal Comb Set, which provides every guiding comb length that you could ever possibly need for your dog.
Features At a Glance:
- Product Dimensions: 3 x 10.5 x 6 inches ; 11.2 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 1.9 pounds;
- Blade Type Included: CryogenX blade with AgION antimicrobial coating;
- Motor Type: Rotary;
- Strokes per Minute: 3000-4000;
Wahl ARCO SE Professional Cordless Pet Clipper Kit by Wahl Professional Animal
If you’re looking for a cordless clipper, this is one of the best that you can get; it is lightweight yet powerful, which makes it great for thick-haired dogs that you need to be able to move around as well as cut for a longer period. The Wahl ARCO SE Professional Cordless Pet Clipper Kit comes with five adjustable blades, which makes it a value regarding price; however, you still have to prepare to pay over $100 if you want to get it.
This clipper is especially well-suited to feet, face, and finish work, as it glides through coats quickly and efficiently so that you can focus on the details. As with the other Clippers, it is cool-running, and thus you don’t have to worry about whether it’s going to overheat and hurt your pet. The motor is also quiet to minimize distractions for you and keep your dog calm.
The Wahl ARCO SE Professional Cordless Pet Clipper Kit can also be bought with a bottle of Wahl Professional Animal Blade Oil, which keeps the blade running smoothly and also keeps it from getting dull as quickly as other blades do.
Features At a Glance:
- Product Dimensions: 7 x 1.4 x 1.7 inches ; 8 ounces
- Shipping Weight: 1.8 pounds;
- Blade Type Included: ‘5 in 1’ Blade (Fine);
- Strokes per Minute: up to 5500;
- Run Time: 80 Minutes per Battery;
- Cord Type: Continuous Cordless;
Best Dog Clippers by Brand
Andis is a leader for all types of grooming products. They are used by professionals and within homes for clipping any hair. Their products are found all over the world in hotels and homes. They are popular for grooming pet hair, and they have a lot of accessories to make your pet look their finest. Their professional brand is a favorite of experts who recommend Andis. Your pet will thank you for using Andis, and their professional advice will ensure you give your pet the perfect trim. They’re an excellent brand you’ll love it for everything you need.
Best Andis Dog Clippers
Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Clipper
Keeping your dog calm while you’re cutting their hair will prevent any injury, and this Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Clipper will keep your dog calm. The rotary motor is quiet to keep your dog calm and relaxed while you’re cutting their hair. The Clippers are durable, and the break-resistant housing fits perfectly in your hand. You will be very comfortable while you’re cutting your dog’s coat. The blades are easy to change and clean. The long cord is durable and allows you cut your dog’s hair from any position. There are plenty of accessories to cut your pets any into any length.
- The detachable blades are ideal for versatile grooming and cleaning. They work with a variety of blades to give you plenty of options. The large selection of blades means you can use any blades for cutting your dog’s hair. The Detachable Ceramic Blade Clipper is Pro-Animal to ensure you’re using a pet-friendly clipping device.
Cut Thick Coats
- The superior rotating motor is powerful enough to cut through thick coats. You will get a consistent cut with these clippers, even through the thicker coats. It will cut through terriers, spaniels, poodles, and their breed mates. The Clippers stay cool to keep your dog from being burned by the quick action of the blades. The clippers are quiet so your dog won’t get worked up while you’re grooming them.
- The housing on the Clippers is durable to last for a long time. The long cord is durable to withstand your dog chewing on the cord. It will last a long time to give you the ideal cut for your dog. Heavy coats won’t wear down the blade either.
Andis Excel Variable 5-Speed Clipper
A clipper that provides complete grooming for your pet. The 5-speed clippers will cut through the toughest hair. The different speeds allow you to give your pets coat an excellent finish that will make them look perfect. The soft-grip anti-slip housing won’t slip out of your hand while you’re using. The CeramicEdge blade runs cooler and lasts longer than other clippers. They’re an excellent clipper you and your dog will appreciate. The blades are detachable for easy cleaning and keeping dog hair from ruining the blades.
Powerful, Rotary Clipper
- You will have your pet thoroughly groomed with these hair clippers. They’re designed to cut through any dog hair and leave your pet looking great. You can give your dog the perfect make-over, especially now winter is over.
Variable 5-Speed Clipping
- The lower speeds run cool for the ideal way to clip around sensitive areas. The higher speeds are perfect for clipping your dog’s body coat and give them a lovely coat finish. The Clippers are ideal for any dog to keep their coat in excellent condition.
- The CeramicEdge blade is built for durability and lasts longer than other blades. The blades will work on the toughest grooming jobs for your dog's coat. They cut through hair better than other clippers. They won’t cut your dog’s skin and will cut through any hair.
Oster is a well-known brand for creating clippers. They have an excellent line of clippers available, and they are some of the best on the market. Their clippers are ideal for people and animals, so you know you’re getting some of the best. Oster takes pride in their grooming ability to make sure everyone gets the haircut they want. The variety of clippers allows you to choose from a vast product line to create your dog’s ideal haircut. You will not regret purchasing a set of Oster clippers to keep your dog’s hair short and looking good. Other dogs may get jealous from seeing your dog’s new haircut.
Oster Golden A5 Single-Speed Clippers
These professional animal clippers are heavy-duty and perfect for anyone who wants to clip their dog’s hair. The powerful universal rotary motor will last you a long time. The 2000 strokes per minute mean you won’t spend a lot of time cutting your dog’s hair. The CryogenX blades are detachable for versatility and easy cleaning. You can select different sizes for cutting your dog’s coat to give them a different look. They’re easy to use and ideal for anyone who wants a professional look on their dog’s coat.
- The versatile clippers are perfect for giving your dog a unique look for grooming them. The single speed works quickly to cut through their coat and help you finish. The detachable clippers are ideal for using different size clippers to get any length of your dog’s coat.
Powerful Rotary Motor
- The motor operates at 2100 strokes per minute to make quick work of your dog’s haircut. You won’t have to worry about cutting through thicker hair with the quick-moving blades. It is the ideal way to cut your dog’s hair. You will get through the grooming process faster than with other clippers.
- The CryogenX blade is durable to last you a long time, even if you regularly groom your dog. The AgION antimicrobial coating prevents bacteria from growing on the blades to keep them clean. The detachable blades are easy to clean for everyone.
Oster A5 2-Speed Clipper
The A5 is excellent and is very durable. The professional corded clipper is ideal for anyone who has a dog that likes to chew on the cord while you’re cutting their hair. The two speeds offer variety for cutting through different parts of the hair. The CryogenX blades are detachable for easy cleaning and changing the blades out. Plenty of accessories allow you to keep the Clippers working perfectly for a long time. Your dog will be happy with these clippers once you’ve finished cutting their hair.
- The two speeds of the clippers are ideal for clipping your dog’s hair. The low setting runs at 2000 strokes per minute, and the high speed operates at 3000 strokes per minute. You won’t spend a lot of time cutting your dog’s hair with the different speeds.
Detachable Blade System
- The detachable blade system is ideal for anyone who wants to put a different sized blade on the clippers. They’re easy to change out, so you don’t spend a long time switching out the blades. It is an ideal clipper for anyone who wants to cut a dog's hair quickly.
- The CryogenX blade is durable to last for a long time, even if you regularly groom your dog. The AgION antimicrobial coating won’t allow bacteria to grow on the blades and keeps them clean. The detachable blades are easy to clean for everyone.
Wahl is one of the leaders in grooming products, and their clippers are some of the best available. They’re used by professionals and amateurs alike, and their influence spans across the globe. They have a variety of options for using them on your pets to keep them calm and give them a great look. Their products are ideal for people, pets, and even for cattle. Wahl is one of the best companies for finding your next pair of clippers. They’re guaranteed to last you a long time and give your dog the best haircut in the dog park.
Wahl Home Pet Pro-series Complete Pet Clipper Kit
The 14-piece kit is perfect for anyone who wants to groom their dog or any pet. The cordless operation is an excellent way to keep your pet from chewing on the cord. It has a non-stop clipping power to cut through any thick hair on your pet. The power drive cutting system cuts through thick hair with ease, preventing the hair from pulling out. The accessories are ideal for getting the perfect cut every time.
Convenient To Use
- The Cordless feature is ideal for anyone who has a pet that won’t sit still for a haircut. The battery in the Clippers won’t die while you’re cutting their hair. The recharging unit is ideal for keeping the Clippers while you’re not using them. All the accessories help you out to give your pet a perfect cut.
- There are plenty of features to give your pet a perfect and professional cut. The blade guard, cleaning brush, and oil will keep your clippers in top working shape. A comb makes it easy to brush away any extra hair buildup on your pet.
- The self-sharpening blades are high-carbon steel to keep them sharp all the time. The precision ground helps them stay sharper longer than other clippers. They are the ideal Clippers for anyone who owns a pet with long hair.
All Round Best Professional Dog Clipper
Wahl Bravura Professional Cord/Cordless Pet Clipper Kit
This pet clipper offers maximum power and torque to cut through your pet’s hair quickly and efficiently. The recharge is quick to allow you to keep clipping your pet’s hair till it’s perfect. The low vibration keeps your pets calm, and the low maintenance is ideal for cleaning. The different features give you a professional feel for the Clippers. The runtime on the battery is long enough to complete your pet’s haircut. They’re ideal for any pet and won’t get caught in the thicker part of their fur.
- The Clippers are lightweight and provide a powerful cut through any thick pet hair. The 5000 strokes per minute are ideal for cutting their hair quickly and efficiently. The cordless feature is excellent for getting hard to reach places and you don't strain yourself. It is ideal for using them on any of your pets
Excellent All-Around Performence
- The Clippers are versatile for using on any part of your pet. You can use it on their feet, face and finish work. The clippers glide through your pet's hair quickly and efficiently to finish the job. They are excellent for bigger dogs with a lot of thick furs.
- The long run-time of the Clippers means you don’t have to keep recharging them while you’re grooming your dog. The blades are cool while they’re running, so they don’t burn your dog. The low vibration is ideal to keep your pet calm while you’re using them. The clipper should charge fully to eliminate any future battery issues.
How To Choose The Best Dog Clippers
Now that you know a bit more about what dog clippers are used for, you’re probably wondering how you can go about choosing the best product for you. Here are a few considerations to keep in mind:
1. Know what to do before you use clippers on your dog
Before you are ready to choose a specific brand or type of dog clippers, make sure that you understand how to use clippers in general, so that you don’t end up purchasing them and then finding out that you are using them incorrectly. First, you should wash and dry your dog’s fur so that it is manageable; then, check that you also have a comb and slicker brush available. These tools are important for achieving the overall look you want, as well as making sure that your dog’s fur stays neat so you can cut it evenly.
Then, you are ready to begin clipping; after choosing the blade that you want and using an appropriately sized guide comb, start cutting from the top to the bottom. You should clip in the direction that your dog’s fur grows to have a smooth cut, as cutting from the bottom up will leave marks in your dog’s fur. As you’re grooming, be careful not to overheat the Clippers, as this can hurt your dog; turn them off regularly and check the temperature with your hand. After you’re done, store the clippers in a cool, dry location until the next time you use them.
2. Choose between Cordless and Corded clippers
Cordless clippers use batteries and don’t have to be plugged into a wall socket to work. Corded Clippers, on the other hand, will only turn on when they’re plugged in. There are advantages and disadvantages to using each - for example, cordless clippers are easier to maneuver in the directions you want, but you also have to supply them with batteries, which will run out sooner or later. Cordless clippers are more difficult to use because you have to watch the cord and move it around as you move the clippers, but they also have a boundless source of power as long as they’re plugged into an outlet.
You can find powerful clippers of both types; whether one is corded or cordless doesn’t have much bearing on how well it does its job. However, you do want to consider variables such as how large your dog is & how likely the dog is to move around. Which could be a danger if there is a cord that he or she can easily trip over or become tangled in. And how far your nearest power source is the place that you groom your dog. Especially if you are grooming outside, you might need cordless clippers just because you can’t reach a power outlet with at 12-foot or 14-foot cord.
3. Know what type of fur your dog has
Different fur types will require different clippers - for example, longer fur needs a longer guide comb, which will allow you to reach down deeper to get a closer shave. Comparatively, shorter fur should have a shorter guide comb. Many dog clippers will come with a kit of guide combs of varying lengths and sizes, but other times you will have to purchase them yourself. You should check whether the dog clipper you are buying is marked as suitable for “all breeds and
4. Consider the different blades available
When choosing your dog clippers, you will most likely get a default blade that comes with the device; this will usually be good for all short- and medium-length dog fur types, but you should check whether this is the case before buying. Dogs with very long or very thick fur will need a larger and thicker blade that is prepared to deal with this much volume, while a fine blade is good for shorter- or thinner-haired dogs. Most of the clippers you buy will have detachable blades, as they will eventually get dull and need to be replaced; as a result, it is also relatively easy to get blades of different shapes and sizes and test them out on the dog clippers after you buy them.
There are different types of blades you can buy separately from the Clippers, but in general, the ceramic blades tend to be cooler, sharper, and longer-lasting than other types. That’s because the ceramic material is specially crafted in extreme heat so that it gets very hard and very sharp and stays that way for a long time. Ceramic blades also sometimes come with an antimicrobial coating, which is very helpful for protecting you and your pet from bacteria and infections that may be transmitted by using the blade on other
5. Think about price considerations
Price is definitely important, although it would be great if it weren’t so; unfortunately, many of the choices we make are determined by how much we can pay for something. Although you can find Clippers that cost anywhere from $70 to $200, the average price is around $120; however, you can go lower or higher depending on what you’re looking for and from where you purchase the clippers. Here are a few features that factor into price:
- Blade design
- Corded or cordless
- Motor type
- Features included
The price is also important because it determines how many other features and accessories you can buy to go with your dog clippers – for example, a set of guide combs, a slicker brush, and different blade attachments. The more expensive the dog clippers, the less likely you are to purchase additional items to go with them.
6. Look at quality and brand
Before you purchase a product, you should always make sure that it is of the quality that you want, which is especially important for dog clippers – an item that costs a lot and thus is supposed to last you for a few years at least. You want to look for clippers that are solidly built, won’t fall apart after a few uses, and won’t malfunction easily; there are numerous horror stories about Clippers suddenly stopping while you are using them, or overheating, which many of the most quality clippers won’t do.
Another aspect of quality is how resistant it is to breaking - many Clippers nowadays will come in the break-resistant or shatter-proof housing so that you don’t have to worry about what happens if you accidentally drop them on the ground. Look for this feature to be mentioned specifically in the text description of the item you are buying.
Much of this is tied to brand – which brands are reputable, and which are not? Brands such as Andis, Wahl, and Oster are known to be reliable, while some brands that you’ve never heard of before or that get poor reviews should be avoided. If you’re ever unsure whether something is authentic or not, you should ask an expert in the pet grooming industry or an employee at the location where you’re purchasing the item. Always buy from reputable sellers, rather than peer-to-peer sales from websites such as Craigslist.
You can also see this video for more:
I hope that the tips for choosing the best dog clippers provided above have been helpful, as well as the reviews on different brands and types of dog clippers. After absorbing all of this information, you should have everything you need to get started with your search! Looking at all the different models of dog clippers available in the market. There are a few that stand out, but my recommendation also depends on what factors you are looking for. If you want top-of-the-line quality, as well as power and versatility, the Wahl ARCO SE Professional Cordless Pet Clipper Kit by Wahl Professional Animal comes with a strong motor and an easy-to-use cordless format that dog owners are sure to appreciate. However, the price is steep, and this may be out of range for some people with smaller budgets. The value option, then, is the Andis EasyClip Pro-Animal 7-Piece Detachable Blade Clipper, which not only comes with a variety of add-ons (allowing you to save money), but it is cheaper than any other clipper while not skipping out on quality. I highly recommend purchasing one of these items, as you can get started on grooming your dog at home today.